Monday, April 26, 2010

Xanthan Gum


Since I use this in some recipes I thought I would give you some information from Wikipedia as to what this is. It's pretty expensive. I bought a small bag for $10 but it does go a long way and I do use it to make my roti/ traditional indian bread with GF flour. Without this the dough is very hard to handle.

Xanthan gum is also used in gluten-free baking. Since the gluten found in wheat must be omitted, xanthan gum is used to give the dough or batter a "stickiness" that would otherwise be achieved with the gluten. Xanthan gum also helps thicken commercial egg substitutes made from egg whites, to replace the fat and emulsifiers found in yolks. It is also a preferred method of thickening liquids for those with swallowing disorders, since it does not change the color or flavor of foods or beverages.

No comments:

Post a Comment