Thursday, April 8, 2010

Tuna noodle cass



By request I am going to start sharing some of the recipes I have found work well when I substitute ingredients with gluten free ones. Hopefully this will reassure you all on what works and which GF brands I had success with. I will try to always include a pic so you can see proof of the end result.

James was craving my tuna noodle casserole so off to Sprouts we went to find some GF pasta. After talking to friends they suggested I try Tinkyada. This brand is rice based as opposed to corn and since my system is healing I didn't really want to start eating corn. Being Indian rice is staple and my body can process it well so I knew I would be safe there.

Here is the recipe and it tasted amazing:

Tuna Casserole

Ingredients

8oz (half a bag) of Tinkyada brown rice shells
2 - 3oz cans of tuna
1 cup frozen or tinned corn
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
4 cups of milk
4 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp butter
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup gluten free breadcrumbs

Method

• Preheat oven to 375 degrees
• Boil noodles until al dente or to your liking while you prep cheese sauce

Cheese Sauce

• In a medium saucepan melt butter on medium heat
• Add cornstarch to butter and mix well to create a paste
• Add 4 cups of milk to paste and mix well
• Keep stirring every now and then and bring to boil
• Turn heat to low and add parmesan cheese and mix until all cheese is melted
• Season with salt and pepper
• Add a handful of cheddar cheese and mix well and take off heat.

• Put drained tuna, corn and pasta and mix well in a lasagna/casserole dish
• Add cheese sauce and mix everything together
• You may add more cheddar cheese at this point (another handful) and mix
• Sprinkle GF breadcrumbs on top (I make my own GF breadcrumbs in a grinder
using two slices of GF bread)
• Bake in oven for 30 minutes
• Cool for 15 minutes and serve

No comments:

Post a Comment