Friday, April 23, 2010

The Pressure Cooker Demystified


Two things have increased my love for cooking in the recent years: one is my fiance James for being super duper helpful in the kitchen and raving about my food and the other is the purchase of a pressure cooker. Now I know you have heard the horror stories about pressure cookers blowing up and yes there is much truth behind them but the newer models have safety features and you just need to use a timer and be smart. If you like saving energy then you will love owning a pressure cooker as it quickly cooks food with delicious results. The internal temperature rises above the normal boiling point of water when under pressure, causing roasts, stews, soups and vegetables to cook faster. The shorter cooking time saves energy as well as more of the nutrients and flavors in the food. I bought mine for $20 for Bed, Bath and Beyond and I have had it for two years. They have ones that are much more expensive which, in my opinion are frivolous. I cooked mashed potatoes, lentils, meats such as beef in half an hour. Regular stove top style would take me hours and waste much more energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment